One of the first questions most people ask is
"What's the difference between a human hair wig and a synthetic wig?"
Here are the 8 main differences:
1. Human hair wigs are more durable than synthetic wigs.
2. You can dye human hair wigs, you can't dye synthetic wigs.
3. Synthetic wigs are always pre-styled, most human hair wigs are not pre-styled.
4. A synthetic wig is more convenient, take it out of the box, give it a shake and put it on. Human hair wigs take a lot more effort. You may need a hairdresser to shape it for you before wearing it.
5. Synthetic wigs are made in different types of cap, wefted (machine made),part monofilament and full monofilament whilst human hair wigs are almost always made with hand tied monofilament caps.
6. You can change the style of a human hair wig. Synthetic wigs keep their original style, volume, waves and or curls, they bounce back into place without any effort.
7. Human hair wigs are more expensive, synthetic wigs are more affordable.
8. You can use heat to style and hot water to wash human hair wigs. Although there are some heat friendly synthetic wigs on the market, most will be irreparably damaged with heat and hot water.
Synthetic fibre wigs have come a long way in recent years. In some cases it is almost impossible to tell the difference. The colour mixes and texture are such that they look and feel like human hair.
At the end of the day it is down to affordabilty and lifestyle that will determine your choice.