How do I care for my new wig…?
There is a lot to it but once you are ‘in the know’ it will become second nature. Here at Valentine Wigs want to make sure you are armed with all the info to make sure you are getting the maximum time for the money you spend on each item.
1. Do not brush your wig while it is wet!!!!
Warm water will make the knots in the cap expand and loosen; I would avoid brushing your wig after washing! Leave it to dry or if you are wearing human hair give the cap a good blast with the hair drier before attempting to brush!
2. Treat it well!!
It is always a good idea to use an intense moisture treatment on your wig once a month or even every other week if you feel it necessary!
3. It is always better to stick to products designed for wigs!!
The human hair used for wigs go through some heavy chemical processes before being made into a wig, so I would suggest only using products designed specifically for wigs, the same goes for synthetic wigs!!
4. Do Not Use Friction When Washing!
Whether you wear Human Hair or Synthetic wigs the same rule applies! Please DO NOT put your wig in water and start scrubbing it they way you would your natural hair!! When you do this, it causes friction frizz! this is something that cannot be avoided, with longer wigs especially but, there are ways to limit it!
5. Some simple steps to follow when washing your wig;
Fill your sink with warm water and add the shampoo, give it a swirl and pop your wig in!
- Leave for 10 minutes, the active ingredients in wig shampoos will start getting to work on any oils or dirt the cap has collected over the week.
- Go back and give it a little swirl round and repeat if necessary
- Rinse your wig with warm water to remove any shampoo
- Get some conditioner and with your fingertips start to work from the ends up and using a wide toothcomb or your fingers working up to the roots with the conditioner. Be careful not to pull or tug as the knots made in the cap are loosened while wet and can cause the hair to shed. So be very mindful of this when conditioning your wig.
- I would then leave your conditioner to do its magic, rinse out with warm water and repeat if necessary.
- Have some leave in conditioner spray at the ready, give it a light spray while it dries. It is always wise to give your wig a light spray with a leave in conditioner spray every other day to keep those fibres or hair nice and moisturised!
Things to remember
Like our own human hair, we are all very different!! Although the human hair used in wigs are treated heavily giving you the same product each wig you order, there are always going to be variations from wig to wig. That is a risk you take when buying human hair so please treat each one with as much care as possible.
Bonus Tip: For wigs that touch your shoulders always wear satin or silk styles of fabrics. Other fabrics like wool or cotton will damage the hair over time.
Your wig is an investment, treating it with loving care will extend its life.